Human personality is an aspect of psychology that many scholars dedicated to their careers and research to. In doing so, there have been numerous personality tests that help us assess personality quickly. Not only do businesses use these tools to help them with onboarding, but personality tests also help us learn more about our behaviour that we may not already know about. If you have been following along in our series, you would know that a well-known test available is called the Enneagram. The Enneagram test organizes human personalities into nine categories. So far, we’ve provided readers with insight into enneagrams 1 – 6. Therefore, today we will be learning about the enneagram 7, which is also known as the enthusiast.
To learn more about enneagram 7, keep reading.
Overview of Enneagram 7
Known as the enthusiast, the enneagram type 7 personality is someone spontaneous, adventurous, and excited about life. In essence, the type 7 personality:
- Enjoys the company of others in a group setting
- Is open to searching for new opportunities and experiences
- Has an inherent fear of missing out
- Prioritizes being positive in every situation possible
- Avoids conflict by validating the actions of other people
- Very curious and child-like at times
- Grateful for the things they have in life
- Enjoys a broad spectrum of interests and passions
The enneagram type 7 is fundamentally an optimistic individual who enjoys experiencing the wonders of life. They are friendly individuals and do not have to try to gain the respect and admiration of other people.
When the enneagram 7 is living a balanced and healthy lifestyle, they possess many strengths. These strengths allow them to be creative and succeed in many aspects of their work and personal life. Some of these strengths include:
- The ability to pick up new skills with ease
- Remaining flexible when circumstances change suddenly
- The tendency to think quickly on their feet when they need to
- Creative in the problem-solving methods
- Highly resilient when it comes to achieving success and facing adversity
- The ability to light up a room and entertain those around them
As you can see, the type 7 personality is cheerful at heart. They thrive in all settings and seek activities that increase their adrenaline.
However, like all individuals, enneagram type 7’s also hold several behavioural weaknesses. This can cause them to experience difficulties that often cause them trouble. Some of these weaknesses include:
- The tendency to make impulsive decisions without thinking about the consequences
- They can become self-centred and have an inflated ego
- Have difficulties staying committed to plans and activities they have planned well in advance
- They can grow bored with aspects of their life easier if it does not meet their inherent need to seek excitement
- They are restless individuals and must have several choices available to them at all times
- Will use unhealthy methods to satisfy their feelings of anxiety and deprival
When type 7 chooses to live an unhealthy lifestyle, they allow their weaknesses to take control of their positive behavioural aspects.
Healthy Type 7 vs. Unhealthy Type 7
Furthermore, when enneagram 7 personalities stay true to their needs and desires responsibly, they can live a healthy life. However, remaining responsible is sometimes not enough. This can lead to unhealthy choices in life that can lead to severe consequences. Let’s take a further look into a healthy type 7 vs. an unhealthy type 7.
Healthy Enneagram 7
- Hold the ability to focus their energy on aspects of the work and personal life wisely
- Do not fixate on things that have happened in the past
- They are bubbly when around others and choose to inspire
- Open-minded with the ability to see other people’s points of views
- Successfully manage a balanced lifestyle that allows them to work and take adventures
Unhealthy Enneagram 7
- Have the tendency to become burnt-out easily
- Become cynical about life
- Are critical of those around them
- Can present themselves as being selfish with the choices and actions
- Easily fall into patterns of addiction
- Experience intense feelings of depression and despair
- Are demanding of others
- Exhibit a hardened persona that is insensitive to the feelings of other people
As you can see, when the enneagram 7 chooses to make an unhealthy decision in life, they can be destructive. Additionally, they can also become hurtful to the people they care about. Thus, leading to strained relationships that push them further into their addictions.
The Enneagram 7 in Relationships
When an enneagram 7 is in a relationship, they seek to be fun and enthusiastic whenever they can be. They always take the initiative to plan adventures for themselves and their partner while keeping the element of surprise.
However, sometimes when they are too busy with projects, they can deny their feelings of stress and anxiety. This often causes them to act selfishly and lose interest. Therefore, they may experience issues settling down with one partner. Nonetheless, should they find a person who challenges their enthusiasm, they can balance their pursuits and stay committed without any troubles.
Best Careers for the Enneagram 7
As the enneagram type 7 is a passionate individual, they often thrive in careers that allow them to express themselves and seek adventure. Therefore, some of the best jobs for these individuals are:
- Travel writer or blogger
- Travel agent
- Tour guide
- Interior designer
- Event planner
- Life coach
- Fitness instructor
Famous Type 7’s
Moreover, numerous people with enneagram 7 personalities throughout history have made positive impacts on their communities. Take a look through the list below; there may be some names that you recognize!
- Conan O’Brien
- Miley Cyrus
- Elton John
- Robin Williams
- Jack Black
- Elizabeth Taylor
- Amelia Earhart
- John F. Kennedy
- Mick Jagger
- Britany Spears
- Cameron Diaz
- Larry King
- Katy Perry
- Brad Pitt
- George Clooney
- Paris Hilton
- Jim Carrey
- Robert Downey Jr.
- James Franco
- Leonardo DiCaprio
- Sarah Palin
- Simon Cowell
Want to take a personality test that will tell you your exact personality makeup? Take our free DISC assessment today!