Warren Buffet called Jack Welch (CEO of General Electric for 20 years) the ‘manager of the century.’ His results were pretty outstanding, and he’s a business legend for a reason. Here are some of his ‘rules of leadership:’
- Leaders relentlessly upgrade their team
- Leaders make sure everybody lives and breathes the vision
- Leaders exude positive energy and optimism
- Leaders have the courage to make unpopular decisions
- Leaders establish trust with candor, transparency, and giving credit
- Leaders probe and push with a curiosity that borders on skepticism, making sure their questions are answered with action
- Leaders celebrate
Take a minute to score yourself out of 10 in each of these areas. Ask a colleague to score you. Where are you best? Where do you need work? What’s one thing you’re going to do this week to improve your leadership skills?
Growth is about improving just a little bit every week and every month. Here’s an opportunity.