Do you wonder what to do to motivate people? How about identifying the things you do to de-motivate them and then stop doing those things? This is a great strategy because it isn’t another thing to put on your task list. If you stop doing dumb things, you’ll have less things to do over-all than you do now!
Here are the top 8 things that I see leaders needing to stop:
- Having to be right all the time
- Judging others by unfair standards
- Not giving performance feedback
- Failing to say thank-you
- Making excuses for their bad behavior (lack of self-awareness)
- Micromanaging others
- Taking credit you they don’t deserve
- Tolerating chronic bad behavior from reports
Pick one thing to stop doing and think how easy your life will be once you don’t have to do these exhausting behaviours every day!