Instead of writing ‘resolutions’ for the new year, why not try visioning? Visioning is a powerful concept that helps you imagine what success looks like and gets your mind working toward reaching it.
Here’s how you do it:
- Pick a topic – you can vision around any area of your life – work, family, health, faith or anything else you can think of.
- Pick a time frame – the bigger the vision, the longer the time frame, but not longer than 5 years I would say.
- Write a letter to yourself from the future, explaining why things have gone so well in your chosen topic area.
- Be specific – not, ‘I’ve invested in family,’ but ‘I have spent 3 consecutive weeks on holiday with my family each year.’
- Write quickly – don’t second-guess, just write.
- Go for greatness – listen to your heart and write your dreams
- Re-draft in a couple of days if you like. Chances are you’ll get it 85% right on your first try.
- Show it to your inner circle for advice. But don’t let them pound the passion out of you!
- Share it with people that matter! Work colleagues, your family or whoever your visioning includes.
Something magical happens when you write down what you want to get done. Try it for the next year!