Have You Set Your Goals For the New Year Yet?

In a Harvard study from 1979:

  • 84% of graduating students had no written goals
  • 13% had written goals, but no plan to achieve them
  • 3% had both written goals and  a concrete plan

10 years later, the 13% that had written goals without plans were making twice as much money as the 84% of the class that had no written goals.

But…

The 3% of students who had both written goals and a concrete plan were making 10x as much as the other 97% of the class.

So, whatever you want to achieve in life, setting goals and developing a plan is a pretty good idea!

Here’s a start for your personal goal setting:

Ask yourself what success means to you in these areas (you choose)

  • Personal (relationships, family, friends, faith, giving back)
  • Work (contribution, promotion, skill development, compensation)
  • Health (you pick the measures that make sense for you)

And put your thoughts to paper.

Then choose one goal in each area, put it on a sticky note where you can see it, and get started.  Do something!  Put something in writing, even if it isn’t perfect.

Something is better than nothing.  More is better than something.  Get started!

And if you have an appetite for more, and want to really get your act together, check out this preview for our one hour online course to teach you how to set goals, and give you tools and a process to use with others too.  Learn how to do it yourself, and teach your team how as well.

Is there a better gift you could give to people you care about?

You can check out that free preview here:

https://professionalleadershipinstitute.com/course/goal-setting/

Do something!

Getting ahead is about getting started!

Trevor head shot in office 1

Trevor Throness is a speaker, consultant, and author of “The Power of People Skills.”  He is also co-founder and senior instructor at professionalleadershipinstitute.com https://professionalleadershipinstitute.com/

Find more about “The Power of People Skills” here: https://www.amazon.com/Power-People-Skills-Dramatically-Performance/dp/1632651068

Get Trevor's Weekly Tips Straight To Your Inbox

    Related posts

    Differences between Millennials and Gen Z in the Workplace

    Differences between Millennials and Gen Z in the Workplace Key Takeaways   Millennials and Gen Z prefer to be in…

    When Billy has a problem with Susie AND with Bobby AND with Janie...

    This week I was approached by a guy who I hadn’t seen in years.   He immediately cornered me and told…

    Are You A Good Person?

    Today I want to share some basic wisdom.  Wisdom about living life at work and at home. Our default is…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Ready to get started?

    Learn how to get people right with our practical curriculum taught by instructors with real-world experience.

    PLI-Cert_Leadership Fundamentals_
    Scroll to Top