Have you ever tried getting to know someone on a deeper level; however, the conversation never seems to go anywhere? I think it’s safe to say, we have all encountered this at least once or twice throughout our lives. And while this isn’t necessarily a negative thing, it can be disappointing when the person you are trying to get to know better is closed off. On the other hand, you may have difficulties getting deep conversations to start in the first place. Luckily, we’ve put together a complete list of deep conversation starters that you can use to get to know others better. Therefore, keep reading to learn more.
- Deep conversations are a great way to learn more about other people.
- If you are going to have a deep conversation with someone, make sure you are in a comfortable and safe environment.
- Ensure you are actively listening and using body language to show you are listening to others when they are speaking.
Deep Conversation Starters and Questions
Deep conversation starters usually begin by asking a question. Therefore, we’ve separated these questions into different categories so you can find the types of topics you’re looking for with ease. Further, one thing to remember is that when having a deep conversation with someone, you want to make sure it is in the appropriate environment. A lot of the time, these questions can be quite emotionally heavy. Therefore, make sure all parties involved feel comfortable and safe.
Additionally, you should pay attention to your body language to ensure you are actively listening to responses so you can meaningfully contribute to the overall conversation. Naturally, once the exchange has begun, you should be able to continue it pretty easily by asking further questions about the topic you have chosen. With that being said, let’s take a closer look at some of these deep conversation starters and topics below.
Want to take a free personality test? Take our free DISC personality assessment!
Watch this video to learn more about DISC and how it can help you improve your communication in the workplace:
Personal Questions for Deep Conversation Starters
- What is the hardest decision you have ever had to make?
- If you found out you had 24 hours to live, what would you do?
- What is your biggest regret?
- How would the people closest to you describe you as a person?
- What is your greatest goal in life?
- What makes you smile most in life?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
- When you die, would you somewhat be forgotten by others or hated? Why?
- If you could change one thing in your life, what would it be and why?
- What are three things you cannot live without?
- If you could spend one day with someone either living or not, who would it be and why?
- What do you value most in other people?
- Do you think money can buy happiness?
- What is your love language?
- What is the one thing you think you need to forgive yourself for?
- Do you believe in karma?
- How is your perfect day spent?
- What is the most valuable lesson in life you have learned this far?
- If you could say something to your younger self, what would it be and why?
- What is your favourite memory from your childhood?
- What makes you feel proud?
- If you won 10 million dollars, what would you do with it?
- Describe yourself in less than 10 words.
- What are you passionate about in life?
- What impression do you think you give to people when you first meet them?
- If you could be famous, what would you be famous for?
- What is the earliest memory you have?
- Who do you trust most in life?
- What is the best piece of advice you have gotten?
- What is one thing you miss about being a kid?
- Who do you aspire to be most like in life?
Questions About Emotions for Deep Conversation Starters
- Do you think having emotions are required for the human race to survive?
- What emotion is the most beneficial, and which is the least useful?
- Do you think that animals have emotions, and do you believe their experiences can dictate their feelings?
Questions About Life and Death
- What do you think the purpose of human life is?
- Where do you think we go when we die?
- If you were to die tomorrow, what are some things you would wish you would have done?
- Would you rather know how you are going to die or when you are going to die?
- What does it mean to live your life to the fullest?
- What is a day in life worth?
- Do you believe in a higher spiritual power?
- Is taking a life justified under the right circumstances?
- If you could trade your life to save another, would you do it? Why or why not?
- Do you think artificial intelligence will help or hinder society?
- What is one conspiracy theory you wholeheartedly believe is true?
- Do you think our dreams have alternative meanings?
- What is something you believe should be taught in school that isn’t already?
- What is the most challenging aspect of your job?
- If you could change one thing about society, what would you change or why?
- Do you think people can really change for the better?
- What is your favourite quote, and why?
As you can see, there are many different deep conversation starters that you can use to get to know people beyond what’s on the surface. Remember, while not a complete list, these questions are meant to get your conversations flowing so you can naturally learn more about each other. Let us know if you have ever asked any of the ones on our list in the comments. Alternatively, comment on a deep conversation question below that we may have missed.